Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Beautifully Deceiving Food

I had my first sushi experience back in November.
It's probably important to note that I DO NOT like fish.....

When my cousin Kandi suggested we go, I honestly
wasn't too thrilled (sorry Kandi), but I thought it would
probably be a good experience to try something new, so 
I went with it.

Looking at the menu, I had no idea where to start!
Once, on a vacation with my friend Christine in
Seattle, I tried smoked salmon. It really wasn't as
bad as I thought, so I was looking at rolls that
had salmon in them. 

Kandi suggested I try the Philadelphia roll since it
had both salmon and cream cheese. I also got a
Hawaii roll because it said it was deep fried and I
figured I could eat deep fried salmon, cream cheese
and crab. 

Before I tell you the rest of the story, 
I do have to say that sushi is very pretty food!!
The presentation of the rolls is really awesome
and makes them look absolutely delicious! 
{Philadelphia roll}

{Hawaii roll} 

So these pretty sushi rolls come out and I start
to think they really might not be so bad!
I had Kandi take a picture of me with the roll
so I could show my dad I was actually eating
sushi! 

And then things went downhill... 
I dropped the Philadelphia roll in the soy sauces...

And started to get really nervous about eating raw fish......

I shoved the whole roll in my mouth and bit down....
And it was bad....
REALLY bad....

My brain was saying "Just chew and swallow, chew and swallow"... 
While my mouth was saying "Get it out! Get it out NOW"! 

I was caught between the two and didn't know what to do...
I tried to drink some water.....
Thinking that would drown the fishy flavor.

But that made it worse.
I had a mouth full of water and sushi...
And I couldn't take it any more!

And.......
The sushi came back out.....
All over my face, my shirt and the bench next
to me. 

All while the poor Japanese waiter started at me with
huge eyes and my cousin laughed hysterically! 
Unfortunately, there are no pictures of that part.
Although, they probably would have been pretty funny!! 

But.... there was still the Hawaii roll......
I REALLY did not want to eat it.
But part of my brain was saying "It's deep fried. It will be better"
Nope! 

I could only take one small bite before I was done!
I did, however, swallow that piece! 
Mostly because I didn't ever try to really chew it at all! 

So.... needless to say,
I will NOT be eating sushi any time soon...
Or EVER again if I can help it!!! 

No comments: