Thursday, April 12, 2012

Time Capsule

Back in 2002 for a Young Women’s activity we made time capsules. We filled out papers about ourselves and filled our cans with whatever we wanted!! We sealed them and agreed not to open them for 10 whole years.
Mine sat under my bed for years and years, collecting large quantities of dust. Every so often I would pull it out and consider opening it. But, I was strong and held out.
Back in 2002, the year 2012 seemed SO far away! I was going to be OLD in 2012!! But looking back, 2002 seems like just yesterday! The years flew by so quickly!!

In February my best friend Lacey and I got together to open our cans!! When that can was sealed I was also with Lacey! It was fun to open them together!!


Look at what was in my can:
IMG_0973
Pictures of boys, pictures from the Olympics, notes to friends, clippings of clothes and shoes and jewelry I wanted, a Strength of Youth pamphlet and a cut out of Dr Pepper!! I don’t know what I was hoping would be in that can, but there wasn’t anything I was super excited to find! It was pretty fun to read through the “About Me” papers though!! Here are some of the things I wrote, word for word!
What’s Hot? What’s Not
* What people are wearing? Roxy, Silvers, Quicksilver and Lucky
* Fads that are in? Wearing cute socks and flip flops
* Top Songs? Upbeat pop songs
* Top TV shows? MTV, TRL, Friends and Alias
* Top Movies? Lord of the Rings and Star Wars
Hi, Future World!! Let me tell you about myself. My name is Amanda M Markus. I am also called Mandi. As I prepare this time capsule, I am 16 years old and in the 11th grade. I go to Copper Hills. I have plenty of happy times in my life, but overall I’d have to say the best day was when I went to the Olympics and when I did honor choir. Then there was the worst day, which I’d like to forget. One that day, I fell off a ledge in Snow Canyon. My proudest moment was when I got accepted to NHS. My most embarrassing moment was when I fell down the stairs at school and fell up too. {Even then I fell down a lot!!}
A Few of my Favorite Things
Favorite color: Purple
Favorite movie: Pearl Harbor and Harry Potter                                        {Pearl Harbor, Ha!! I was so in love with Josh Hartnett! Hence the picture of him you see in my can}
Favorite book: To Kill A Mockingbird and Harry Potter                                     {Still at the top of my favorite book list}
Favorite singer: N*SYNC
Favorite food: CHINESE
Favorite TV program: Friends, ER, Charmed and Survivor                                      {I don’t think I really ever LOVED Friends….. but everyone else did….. So I think I put it on there to fit in}
Favorite place to eat out: Any Chinese place
Hobbies: Singing, being with friends, listening to music
Sports: Soccer, figure skating and gymnastics                                    {With the skating and gymnastics thing I think it was more that I liked watching it!}
Collections: None
Name of School: Copper Hills High School
Grade: 11
Teachers: Mr Watrous, Mr Dillon and Mrs Beddoes
Favorite subject: History & English
School friends: Tiffany H, Amanda C, Aprielle R, Allison M, Danielle S, Lacey S
Best school lunch: Baked potatoes
Worst school lunch: Tacoes
Some of my goals are: To go to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. I want to get married in the temple and have 2 kids.                                        {So much for those goals}
If I could choose any career, it would be: An interior decorator, fashion designer or graphic designer {I would still love to have any one of these careers}
One thing I have always wanted to do but havent is: Go on a date with Cody L {Oh Cody L!! I had the BIGGEST crush on him!! I remember the first time he talked to me at a football game! And when he signed my yearbook my junior year}
Some of my best qualities are: Singing and my small feet


It was pretty funny looking back!! And it was really really fun to be opening the can with one of the people I put it together with 10 years earlier!!

3 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

how fun that you & lacey opened them together! i was so proud of myself that i had waited the 10 years too. it was such a fun thing to open them and look back. i loved reading your fill in the blanks! and cody l... ha ha ha! i remember now that you used to be obsessed w him. he was pretty darn cute, huh? :) i did plt with him my junior year and he was so fun!

Rachel and Kevin West said...

Im so impressed that you waited! I didn't, pretty sure mine was opened 4 years later. lame. We should do it again, SERIOUSLY.

Unknown said...

I made one in 2001 and opened it last year. It must have been a stake-wide YW activity or something. It was fun to look through what seemed so important back then.