Tuesday, July 16, 2013

That Time I Ran My First 5k

Last July my cousin-in-law (is that the actual term? I do I just call her my cousin? Or it is it do I say my cousin’s wife) posted something on Facebook about how she had just signed up to a 5k. I asked her asked her a little bit about it and found out it was going to be a nighttime race and she was signed up with my cousins. 
The more I started thinking about it, the more I wanted to do it. Not only was it a nighttime race, but it was GLOW IN THE DARK and it was on Friday the 13th! It just sounded so awesome!!

I talked to my mom about it and convinced her to do it with me. I originally didn’t tell my cousins we had signed up….. I sort of felt like I was crashing their family time and I didn’t want to impose!

I Googled a couch to 5k program and started going out on the Jordan River Parkway almost every day. I was slow…. SUPER slow….. I felt like little old ladies with walkers could keep up with me!!!

 But I forced myself to keep going.

The program was a 9 week deal. And there were only about 6 weeks until the race. I was SO afraid that I wouldn’t be able to do it. My original goal was to run the whole race…. but then I realized that probably wasn’t as important as just running what I could and making it to the end.

I kept telling everyone about the race because it was going to be awesome! My sister in law signed up to run with us and so did my aunt.

We eventually told my cousins we would be running with them and I am SO glad we did. It turned out to be a blast!! There were 8 of us running and it was great to have other people cheering you on!
 
Everyone was really creative with their glow sticks! I even tried weaving them into my hair! The coolest part was probably our customized shirts!!
That's right!! WHAM!!!!!
 
Hayley and I were "HA"

The race began and I was so nervous, but also extremely excited.
I started to run…..
And I kept running….
And I even passed people!!

Before race day, I think my longest running streak had been a little over a mile.
On race day, I ran a mile and a half without stopping!
It’s pretty awesome what adrenaline will do!
For the last mile and a half I did a walk then run combo, but I made sure to save enough energy so I could sprint across the finish line!

It was an awesome feeling!! I had finished my first 5k!! I hadn’t run the whole thing, but I had run longer than I ever had before and I FINISHED!!
Me!! Crossing the finish line of my very first race!!

They gave out awards and my amazing mom was a medal in her age bracket!! Way to go!!
And my cousin and sister in law won in their age division!!
 
I was definitely on a running high!!!
I wanted to do more!! 








 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

That is all.

Amanda and Chad said...

looks like fun! what an energy rush to do it in the dark with glow sticks!