Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Then And Now

Back in June when the doctor told me not to run, I was devastated! 
All that hard work for nothing.

All I could think about was the fact that I wouldn't be running for four
weeks. That put me at the end of July. Then I'd start thinking how
there was absolutely no way I'd be ready to run at the end of August.

That night at dinner, I didn't want to talk to anyone. And because my
mind kind dwelling on it, I would break into tears at any given moment.

I cried.... and cried and cried!! 

But I am lucky.
I have am amazing Dad and a fantastic Grandpa.
They gave me a blessing the night I got home
from my doctors appointment and after they
were done, I felt peace.
Even though I was still so upset, I didn't feel
so hopeless.

Not long after that I was looking over my blog and came across
a bunch of post that I never got around to finishing, and one 
of them was the post that I published a few days ago. 
I got to the bottom when I talk about the things I'd learned.
The very last one says:

"I KNOW that I will be able to run 6.2 miles by August 31st"

I cried again when I saw that.
Because at that point, I no longer felt like that would be 
a possibility! 

The doctor told me to wait.
So I had to be patient.....
And being patient is hard work!

There were so many days when I felt fine
and just wanted to go out and run! 
But I had to remind myself that if I went out
and hurt myself more, that running wouldn't
be a possibility AT ALL! 

So I waited.... and waited!! 

Finally, on July 19th I got good news at the 
doctors office. Things looked good and they
gave me the go ahead to start physical activity! 
So, at 5:30 IN THE MORNING, I went for
my first run. The date?
July 22nd.
Exactly one month from the day I fell! 


My heart was telling me to just get out there 
and run three miles.....
But I had to do the smart thing and take it easy! 
That day I took it pretty easy and went just under
a mile and a half. It was a short run, but my ankle 
and knee felt totally fine.
It's been two weeks since I started running again.
And guess what???
I can run 4.25 miles!!!!!

It's a miracle!
And I say that with all the seriousness in the world! 
I KNOW it's that blessing I got from my
dad and my grandpa!! And not old that....
But I KNOW the Lord is helping me run!

Last Thursday I went running and ran
my fastest 5k ever!!! It felt so awesome!!! 

It's still hard, that is for sure!! 
And I'm still not 100% I'll be able to actually 
run the whole race.

BUT............
Seeing what will be waiting for me at the finish line
is pretty great motivation!! 

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Amanda you are so so amazing!!! The Lord does love you and cares about everything that you care about. I cant wait for you to run this race!!! I need to get on the band wagon with you so we can do a race together sometime.

Amanda and Chad said...

LOOK AT YOU!! simply amazing! i love your dedication and motivation to keep on running even when life threw you a curve ball. you rock, my friend!

Kirsten said...

So awesome!