Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Great Heritage




As I am sitting here watching the Day's of 47 parade, I cant help but think how grateful I am for all those pioneers who crossed the plains, espeically for my own pioneer ancestors!


I have had to opportunity to participate in two pioneer treks and I honestly dont know if I could have made it across the United States! I am a big whimp and I dont think I could have survived all the hardship that those early pioneers faced! I know that I would have given up very early in the trek and I am so grateful for all those people who had enough faith to keep going.


On July 24, 1847, Brigham Young and a company of Mormon pioneers arrived in the Salt Lake Valley, where the Latter-day Saints settled after being forced from Nauvoo, Illinois and other locations in the eastern United States. Pulling handcarts or driving wagons with oxen or horses, thousands of pioneers carried a firm commitment to America's belief in freedom of religion as they made the trek across the plains to a vast desert landscape that became known as the Utah Territory.
According to Days of '47 Inc. "This trek of the early Utah pioneers exemplifies the courage, foresight, and faith that continue to inspire modern-day pioneers. By remembering those remarkable 1847 pioneers and all those who followed, The Days of '47 seeks to make their accomplishments and hardships live today through a variety of activities and celebrations each year. We believe the example of past and present pioneers' courage is a
beacon to the world."

I hope that sometime today, we can all take a minute the thank our Heavenly Father for those courageous and brave early pioneers!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I am a wimp too. There is no way I could have done it. I did a trek thing too, and it about killed me! And it was like 6 miles.. not thousands of miles..