Monday, June 22, 2009

Thank You Doesn't Even Cover It

A little over a week ago I started reading "1776" by David McCullough. It's an amazing book about our country and our fight for independence. I thought it was going to be a novel with some kind of dramatic plot, but mostly it's just facts. I hope that doesn't make it sound lame because it it fantastic!! That's what they should have you read in high school instead of the lame-o text books!
Anyway, I was reading today about how when many of the troops enlistment time was up, most of them didn't plan on coming back (only about 1,000 of 10,000). An article signed by "A Freeman" was published in the New England Chronicles about the troops and I thought it awesome. I thought I would put it here because it really is a phenomenally tribute the men that fought for us so many years ago and the men and women who keep us safe today.

"Your exertions in the cause of freedom, guided by wisdom and animated by zeal and courage, have gained you the love and confidence of your grateful countrymen; and they look to you, who are experienced veterans, and trust that you will still be the guardians of America. As I have the honor to be an American, and one among the free millions, who are defended by your valor, I would pay the tribute of thanks, and express my gratitude, while I solicit you to continue in your present honorable and important station. I doubt not America will always find enough of her sons ready to flock to her standard, and support her freedom... Therefore every friend of America will be desirous that most of the gentlemen who compose the present army may continure in the service of their country until "Liberty, Peace and Safety" are established. Althought your private concerns may call for your assistance at home, yet the voice of your country is still louder, and it is painful to heroic minds to quit the field when liberty calls, and the voice of millions cries "To arms! to arms!" Never was a cause more important or glorioys that that which your are engaged in; not only your wives, your children and distant posterity, but humanity at large, the world of mankind, are interested in it; for if tyranny should prevail in this great country, we may expect liberty will expire throughout the world.
He that is a soldier in defense of such a cause, needs no title; his post of honor, and although not an emperor, yet he shall wear a crown- of glory- and blessed will be his memory!"

I don't know about you, but a lot of times I feel like just saying THANK YOU is not enough. And it's not that those two words are wonderful and appreciated, but they cannot express the amount of gratitude I feel for those people that have and are serving us all. I loved this letter because it is able to put into words some of the deep appreciation we should feel.
I would also like the thank the many wives/husbands, parents, children, grandparent, cousins, aunts/uncles, friends and neighbors that share their wonderful soldiers with us. What a sacrifice they are making for us all and again there are just not words to say how grateful I am for that!
I hope that as our country's birthday gets closer, we will all stop to think about about blessings and our freedoms that come because of these great men and women. Remember them and their families sincerely in all of your prayers.

"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I wont forget the men who died who gave that right to me!"

No comments: