Friday, June 15, 2012

Becoming A Runner

You've all seen this right?
This could not fit me better right now!!
Remember how I told you that I wanted to run that glow in the dark 5k next month? Well, I'm working on it! I've been "running" at least three days a week trying to build my way up to three miles.

Let me tell you a little about running.
I hate it.
I've always hated it.
Well, I guess that is not entirely accurate. I'm sure I loved to run when I was little and had infinite amounts of energy and wasn't packing around a ridiculous amount of extra weight!!
I remember being in elementary school and the teachers making us run a mile around the field.
I hated it!
I remember trying to say I had asthma and allergies and that I shouldn't be expected to run.
They made me run anyway {they saw through my sham..... dang}
And I totally remember being like "Oh yeah.... I totally ran around the field four times", when I really had probably only gone around twice.
My hatred of running got worse the older {and fatter} I got.
Middle school was torture.
I remember the gym teacher making us run around the school during class.
The worst part.....
She stood there with her stupid clipboard and put a check by your name every time you ran by!!
Which meant no cheating!
I couldn't get out of it.......
I had to run around that stupid school over and over.
I don't remember them making us run as much in high school {thank goodness}.
But I do remember one particular time I was forced to run outside with the track and field team.
Let's just say I was angry.....
And may or may not have said some really inappropriate things and stormed off the track!!

And now, here I am.
Trying to become a runner.
It's not as bad as I remember.
Maybe because I am doing it because I want to and not because I am being told I have to.

I'm still not a good runner.
The first time I went out I was totally heel striking and giving myself shin splints!!
That first time I cam home from running I thought I was going to die.
Not kidding!! And not over exaggerating!
I laid on the floor feeling like I couldn't breathe.
My head was spinning and my body ached!!
I thought to myself "THIS is why running sucks!! THIS is why I avoid it at all costs"!!

But I forced myself to run again a few days later.
And it wasn't quite as horrible as day one.
Thank goodness for my Aunt Wendy who I ran with a few days later who gave me some really good running advice!! It's made a world of difference!!

I'm still working on it.
And many evenings I still have to force myself to go!!
I'm not fast by any means.
I'm fairly certain that a grandpa with his walker could keep up with me and my "running" pace!!
And I'm POSITIVE a little old lady in her hover round could pass me up any day!! 

Hopefully one day that will be different!!
I haven't officially signed up for the 5K yet.
I'm still not 100% sure if I'll be ready in time.
But week three is a whole heck of a lot easier than week one so who knows!!! 
Here's to becoming a runner!! 










4 comments:

Lacey said...

This post made me SO HAPPY!!! I'm so proud of you. I wish you still lived in Murray so we could do some runs together. It's always nice to have a friend to run with and talk the miles away. Just wait till you do a race, you'll keep going back for more!!!

Tiffany said...

I really HATE running too. Good Job Manda!! You should sign up for the 5k. You don't have to run the whole thing. Also I need to hear these running tips. Maybe it will help me become a runner too. Love ya.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you Amanda! My advice to you, as a fellow runner in the making, is to sign up for the race and pay for it. That way it forces you to commit. It forces you to be ready no matter what, even if you don't think you are. Best of luck!

Amanda and Chad said...

gee, everyone elses comments are so encouraging! i was gonna be negative and say I HATE RUNNING too! HATE IT HATE IT! i see everyone running marathons and people talking about how they just LOVE to run.. and i just wannna throw up. and i think half of my problem is how they forced us to run at school.. just like you said. and i am still really bitter about mrs.wehan making a tally mark every time we ran by her at elk ridge. i wanted to cheat so bad! oh.. and in college they made me take a gym class and i did cheat because the instructor didn't make tally marks of how many laps you did.. thank goodness! anyways, glad i am not alone in the hating running category! but, i think you are awesome for wanting to change that and give a shot at a 5K! i hope you do it! maybe it will give me some motivation to not be so negative about running :)