Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Wizard & I

When I first saw the CD for Wicked, I had no idea what it was about. I didn't really look closely at it because the name kind of made me sceptical. I never heard or thought of it again until I was in a Stake musical one year and the song Popular was included in the show. Well one day at practice, while we were waiting for the girl that was going to sing it to show up, a few people started listening the the CD, and that is when I first heard Popular. I LOVED it because it was so upbeat and hilarious!! I think we listened to it three or four times, laughing and being very silly while acting it out! Then we listened to the song For Good and I thought it was so amazing with a sweet message!!
That night when I got home I put the music on hold at the library, really only planning on listening to the two songs I knew. But once I heard the whole thing, I was hooked!! I played it over and over and finally just went and bought the CD for myself! I put it on my iPod and would listened to it every time I was in my car and when I was home alone, I would put it in my CD player, turn it up really loud, and sing at the top of my lungs!
Well in 2007 I convinced my mom that I really needed to see the show so she and I took a trip to Chicago to see it! I had so much fun on that trip with my mom and the show was PHENOMENAL!! I was even more hooked than I was before and I knew that I wanted to see it again!!

So in June of 2007 (wow, I didn't realize how close all of that was til just now) I planned a trip to Los Angeles with two good friends. We did lots of fun things, but I think my favorite parts going to see Wicked at the Pantages Theatre!! It was just as good the second time and it was fun to see it with a different cast!! The cast that time included Jenna Leigh Green (Libby from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) and Carole Kane. After the show was over, I bought a really cool book called The Grimmerie which has all kinds of cool behind the scenes info from the show. The girl that rang me up told me that I could go to the side of the theatre and I would be able to get autographs from the cast!! My friends were so awesome and stood in line with me so I could get the autographs of Fiyero, Glinda and Elphaba!!

Just like before, I couldn't wait to see it again (it's that good people)!! And I didn't have to wait long!! Another friend and I planned a trip to southern California in October and she was nice enough to let me at Wicked to out agenda!! And it worked out really nice because in the few months that I had seen it there had been some cast changes so I saw it was almost totally different people!

After that I had no idea when I would be able to see it again! I couldn't think of any one else to drag to California so I figured I would just have to wait. In January 2008 when I found out I would be going to London, I immediately started thinking about how awesome it would be if I could see the show over there. I was going to be going over a week early with an old friend from high school and a friend of hers and I had no idea if they were into that kind of thing or not and I was trying to think of things to say to convinces them of the shows awesome-ness show they would want to go with me. But I got SO lucky and they wanted to go!! Yay!! So I got to see Wicked for the 4th time at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London!!


It was so much fun to hear the show with the awesome British accents!! And at intermission we realized you could rent opera glasses for only a pound from the seat in front of you, so we got to have and up close view of the second act!!

Well, now the show will finally be coming to Salt Lake! I had been counting down the the tickets-go-on-sale day for months and fought to get onto the ArtTix site for about an hour when I learned that the show had been sold out. I was SO disappointed. It literally ruined my whole weekend I was so upset about it. All I could think about was the fact that I had traveled all over the place to see the show and it was finally coming to my state and I wouldn't even be able to see it! And worst of all, there are scalpers trying to see their seats online. I knew it would happened, but it made me so mad..... it's just not fair to those of us that really want to see the show! Well, I have a REALLY AWESOME neighbor that just found out that the couple they had planned to go with cant make it, so she offered me her tickets!! AHHHHHHH!! I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO WICKED!! I cant even tell you how excited I am!! I have been listening to the soundtrack all day long and now counting dow to April when I get to see it!!!

There are so many people that I wish I could offer the extra ticket to!! I have so many friends that really want to see it and I wish that there was some way I could get extra tickets for you guys, but I really need to take my sister. She was just as disappointed as I was when she found out we didn't get tickets and was positive my parents were going to surprise her with tickets Christmas morning. So now I can actually surprise her for her birthday and I know she will love it!! But that doesnt mean that I am not going to try my hardest to win tickets some how!! Haha, I can never see it enough!

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

That is way awesome that your neighbor gave you tickets! How exciting. And you are the sweetest sister to take Kaylee with you. She is a lucky girl! I have NEVER seen or heard anything from Wicked... hmm... But after I read this, I think maybe I will go try and find the soundtrack so I can listen for myself. And I am going to Chicago in April/May... maybe I can talk Chad into taking me to Wicked if I like the soundtrack.. prob not though. i'm trying to talk him into going to an Oprah show but he is like HECK NO! ha ha.

Amanda M said...

That is so awesome that you are going to Chicago Amanda!! I loved it there!! Are you guys going to a baseball game while you are there??
It would be so awesome if you got Oprah tickets!! My mom and I tried but we had no luck!!
I think you can listen to the Wicked soundtrack on YouTube, then you dont have to buy it first!! I would recommend Popular, What Is This Feeling and For Good!!!