Thursday, May 13, 2010

Really Mother Nature? Really??

Mother Nature has not been so nice to us here in Utah lately!! We went from beautiful Spring weather to FREEZING cold over night!! We got snow on April 30th for crying out loud!! Really Mother Nature?? Come on, it is supposed to be nice and warm right now!! Why cant we have a month of perfect Spring weather?? Is that too much to ask??
I know it is supposed to warm up this weekend..... all the way to 80 degrees!! Geez!! From 45 to 80 in a matter of days. Winter to Summer....... really Mother Nature, really??

A few weeks ago I was ready to forgive Mother Nature because I found this in the tree right outside my front door:5 perfect little finch eggs!! They seriously looked like those Cadbury mini eggs that were in my Easter basket!! I was SO excited!! I took tons of pictures and planned to document the whole thing! We have had nests in our yard before, it other trees.... but we also have a cat. Lets just say it has not gone so well other years. But this year was going to be different because there was no way my cat could get to this nest!!

After weeks and weeks of watching and waiting, I came home one afternoon and found this:

A cute, almost bald, baby bird!! I have video of it moving around with the mother bird chirping like crazy in the background!! I was so excited!! It wasn't going to be long before the others hatched!!!And sure enough, the next morning the nest was full!!! All but one egg hatched!! Pretty amazing and good odds I thought!! The coolest part about watching these tiny birds was that when you pulled the branches apart, they would fling their heads up and open their tiny beaks ready for a meal! Really Mother Nature, you are amazing!! That poor mother bird hated me I'm sure!! I never missed a chance to look in the tree at these cute birds!! I took pictures every day and lots of video too.

And then Mother Nature struck. Remember Tuesday night when that crazy storm hit with is horrible winds, rain, hail and freezing temperatures........ yeah, not good. Well Wednesday after I got home from work, what did I do.... I looked in the nest!! The little birds were not moving at all......... kind of weird I thought, that they all happened to be sleeping ath the same time. I realized something was not right. I came in and got a Q-tip, went back outside and gently nudged the tiny birds, and none of them move. They were dead...... frozen to death. Really Mother Nature, really?? I know this probably sounds so lame, but I am literally holding back tears right now. Those poor baby birds didn't have a chance once Mother Nature sent in her freak winter-like storm in the middle of spring. This was the last picture I took of them: Poor things!! They were about the size of my thumb and their eyes were not even open yet. It makes me so sad!! Really Mother Nature, really?? They were all huddled together, trying to keep each other warm I'm sure!! But look at them!! They are basically bald!! They didn't stand a chance! I totally realize it's just the circle of life, or whatever you want to call it and I'm sure there are baby birds other places that survived that stupid storm so their will definitely not be a shortage. I was just so excited to watch these baby birds grow! I'm sure I will get over it............................ eventually!! But for now, I am hold my grudge against Mother Nature.

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

how sad for those birds! breaks my heart!
i think the pictures you have of them are so cool though!

Nicole said...

Aww man! That's awful! Poor baby birds! :(