Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book #5

I finished Briar Rose by Jane Yolen today! I first heard about this book a few years ago in my Children's Lit class; the professor didn't put it on our reading list but he did recommend we read it sometime.
I saw The Sleeping Beauty ballet a few weeks ago and it reminded me of this book and I finally got around to putting it on hold at the library.

It was a really interesting take on the story of my favorite Disney princess and incorporates the Holocaust. There were a couple of part that made me think "Man... I wouldn't want my elementary schooler reading this book!!" But it's a good reminder of the things people suffered during that time period!!

"Ever since she was a child, Rebecca has been enchanted by her grandmother Gemma's stories about Briar Rose. But a promise

Rebecca makes to her dying grandmother will lead her on a remarkable journey to uncover the truth of Gemma's astonishing claim: I am Briar Rose. A journey that will lead her to unspeakable brutality and horror. But also to redemption and hope."

1 comment:

Amanda and Chad said...

i just have to comment only because we almost named Claira "Briar".. so the title of this book made me happy! That's all!! ha ha!