Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hidden Cities

I have this really cool 1000 Things To See Before You Die desk calendar that I got back in January. It's probably pretty nerdy to say that tearing off the previous day and looking at the next page is the highlight of my morning! And Monday's are particularly exciting because I get to rip of TWO pages!! Yes, that is how exciting my mornings are!
There have been some pretty awesome pictures so far; I am keeping them and plan to make some kind of cool wall collage at the end of the year! It took 53 days for something to show up on my calendar that I have actually seen, that means I have so much more to see!! I need to get started!

Today's picture is this:
               {Stupid question here.... is this place in an Indiana Jones movie??}
It's Petra, Jordan and I think it is absolutely amazing the way the whole temple is carved into the side a the mountains!! My calendar says that it was discovered by a Swiss explorer in 1812. Very cool!!

It also lists some of the worlds other "hidden cities" all of which were built hundreds of years ago but for a time were lost until discovered accidentally by others!
I have always thought these two places looked awesome!! I need to take a South America vacation!!

Machu Picchu in Peru
I don't know if I could have ever lived here..... I am pretty nervous of heights!! This place actually wasn't found by accident! According to my calendar is was shown to an American by a local boy in 1911!!

Tikal in Guatemala.
I have never been to any of the Mayan, Aztec or Inca ruins but I have always found them fascinating! These structures are HUGE and it's amazing to me that ancient people were able to create these lasting structures with no modern construction equipment!!

This last hidden city is very high up on my "Travel Wish List".
Angkor Wat in Cambodia!

Every single picture I have ever seen of this place is beautiful!! I have a friend who got to visit this place a few years ago and I was so jealous!! It kind of reminds me of the movie The Jungle Book.... you know what Mogli goes to King Louie.... right?!?!

Someday...... someday when I have limitless time and an endless supply of cash, I will visit the worlds wonderfully beautiful hidden cities!!


1 comment:

Steph said...

Go to Angkor Wat, it's amazing!