Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tree Love

I know I just got back from a vacation.... but I REALLY wish I was going out of town this weekend instead, and to the opposite coast.
Why? Because this weekend is the start of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C.

 They talked about it on the Today Show this morning and it reminded me of how badly I want to visit one spring to see the beautiful trees covered in hundreds of delicate pink flowers!
Did you know that the trees were originally a gift from Japan back in 1912?
Next year will be the centennial celebration! The official website says it is a once in a lifetime celebration!! Maybe if I start saving my pennies now I can be there for next years festival!!
I wonder if one of these gorgeous tress would grow here in Utah?? Do you think it gets to cold in the winter? I would love to look out my window in the morning and see the amazing pink blossoms! And then when the pink fades away and they turn to white I would walk around singing "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree"

I'd plant my cherry blossom tree right next to one of these: 
                   
That's right!! I want a palm tree in my yard too!! I am almost positive that it gets to cold here..... but that wont stop me from trying!! If I have to wrap it in plastic and blankets and go out with a blow dryer to keep it warm, I will do it!!
My yard it going to be awesome!!

3 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

those pink trees are amazing! wow! i want one too. i think if i had one in my yard everytime i look at it i would be happy :)
ahhhh and palm trees! i have wanted one for years too. it makes me so jealous that st. george has them. i love seeing them in california too, they are just beautiful!

Rachel and Kevin West said...

My mom has trees that bloom like this in the spring. I think they are ornamental pears, and I think our cherry tree looks similar too.

Steph said...

I have always wanted to go to Japan in spring to see the blossoms!