Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Purple Thumb

Have you ever seen the movie "A Troll In Central Park?" It's about this cute little troll named Stanley with a green thumb. Any time he touches his thumb to the ground flowers and plants start to grow. The only problem is that Gnorga, the evil troll queen, hates flowers. When she find his house full of flowers, she banishes him to New York, a city of steel and concrete. Gnorga has a purple thumb and when she uses it, it turns things into stone.


Sometimes I feel like I have a purple thumb! No, I don't turn things into stone, but I am not very good at growing plants or flowers. Like Stanley though, I LOVE flora and fauna and all things green! I'm trying to change the color of my thumb this year!!

We have this short brink wall that borders our car port and I thought it would be fun to add some color too it!!
So I went to a few stores and bought some really fun pots/containers to plant flowers in!! I got two pots at Wal-Mart {yes, I shop there. Back off okay!} and a cool ice bucket at Target. But I hit the jackpot at the dollar store!!!
None of them are actually flower pots! One is a serving bowl, one is a sand pail, one is an ice bucket and the purple one is a "handy oval container"!
Because none of them are technically for gardening I had to make holes in the bottom of them. That's what you are supposed to do right? So water can get out?!?
I used a kitchen knife to slowly carve out the holes.
The orange pail didn't play along well. Every time I tried to put a hole in it, the plastic just split apart so there are no real holes on the bottom. Hopefully the plants in it survive!!

I filled them with dirt:

And then added the plants and seeds:

 And finished off by watering them. I decided that I need a watering can so I can water them every day {because using a cup just isn't working} 

The best part though was putting them out on the brick wall and standing back to admire them!!
I love them!! Hopefully I just don't kill them!!!

3 comments:

Steph said...

cute!

Amanda and Chad said...

i love this idea!! how bright & fun!

Nicole said...

Love it! That's an awesome idea!