Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Time To Straighten Up

Clear back in high school I had braces. My teeth were never crooked or crazy looking {which I was very grateful for} but I did have an overbite, so my parents took me to the orthodontist to get it taken care of!
My orthodontist is AWESOME!! I remember being REALLY nervous about going. I absolutely HATE going to the dentist {I have to go next week... boo!} so the orthodontist also sounded very scary. But, it wasn't too bad!
I didn't think braces were awful and I tried to have fun with them! My bands were always fun and crazy color combos and always coordinated with holidays! I had no problem with them. It wasn't until I got my retainer that I started having troubles!
I was actually really excited to get my retainer because my orthodontist told me that I could bring a small picture to put on it if I wanted. Now remember, this was back when I was a sophomore/junior, so I was thrilled to create my own retainer. The brand Roxy was huge back in those days! I was to fat to fit into any Roxy clothes, so I cut out the Roxy logo and had it put into my retainer. It was going to be my awesome, name brand retainer!!!

I went back in a few days later to pick it up and it looked fantastic, I was pretty excited about wearing it. The only problem.... it tasted weird! Really really weird!! A gross mixture of plastic and acrylic! I couldn't handle it being in my mouth.I brushed it all the time, I soaked it in mouth wash and orange juice... nothing worked.... it always had a funky taste! So, I hardly ever wore my trendy Roxy retainer!

Flash forward to now! Not wearing my retainer was a bad move on my part! Remember how I never had crooked or crazy teeth before? Well, now I do. My two top front teeth overlap each other and one of them sticks out a little bit...... my ugly snaggle tooth.
It's sad. Sad because now I have ugly teeth and it makes me self conscious, sad because my parents paid a ridiculous amount of money so I could have perfectly straight teeth and I let it go to waste {I really do feel awful about this part of it!! SORRY mom and dad!!!!}, sad because now I have to pay to have it fixed and sad because my insurance doesn't cover adult orthodontic care at all.

I went back into visit my orthodontist today and he is still just as awesome as ever! The appointment was short and sweet. The solution to my problem: a new retainer. THANK GOODNESS that's all it will take! I don't know what I would have done if he said I needed a top row of braces again!

My new retainer will be blue... no logo this time.... and I can pick it up in a week! My guess is that if will probably taste funny for awhile, but I am just going to have to suck it up!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Good on you for getting it done!

Amanda and Chad said...

that's so awesome about your roxy retainer!! ha ha, roxy was like the coolest thing ever!
how lucky that all you need is a retainer to fix them!
i still have my retainer from when i got my braces off- i'm supposed to wear it every night.. ha! it's so hard to remember!