Wednesday, August 24, 2011

If I'd Known Then

It's back to school day for a lot of people!! It has me thinking how grateful I am to be done with that!! I don't miss sitting through seemingly pointless classes, homework, papers, mid-terms and cramming for finals! I don't miss it one bit!
Sometimes I think to myself that I should go back to school and get my Masters.... but I don't have enough motivation!! Or enough money!!

I made a decision a few weeks ago.......

I don't want to do the teaching thing anymore. I don't know if I ever actually wanted to be a teacher in the first place. I have SO much respect for teachers! They are amazing people that work in one of the most important professions for ridiculous pay!! Their day doesn't end when the school bell rings... they spend long hours finishing up their day in their classrooms and often times have to take their work home with them. Yes, they do get the entire summer off, but much of that is spent preparing for the next school year.

I think I majored in teaching because I felt like I didn't really have any other options or their wasn't anything else I wanted to do or was good at. I figured they would always need teachers so it would a good degree to have. Looking back I realize both of those statements are not entirely accurate.
I didn't originally want to be a teacher..... my first major was interior design. Which then switched to family law, then to sign language interpreting before I finally just went with teaching. I wanted to do so many different things but none of them seemed possible...... so teaching it was.
And they wont always need teachers I have come to realize! So many teachers are being laid off and schools are increasing class size so that budgets fit better.

Sometimes I wish I could do it all over again. I honestly feel like I would have skipped out on the college thing {it kind of really sucks paying thousands and thousands of dollars for the next 11 years for something I will never use}. Or that I would have put more thought into what I really wanted to do with my future.
If only there were time machines right?

What would I do if I could do anything?
Oh man! I have so many dream jobs!! The only problem....... none of them are even possible in this great state I live in!!

I have wanted to be an interior designer for so long! When I was in high school I used to buy graph paper and vellum and draw out floor plans and furniture layouts!! I took both of the classes in high school and loved each of them!!

Or being and event planner!! I think it would be such a blast to help people plan their weddings, sweet 16 parties, bat mitzvah, high school reunions, corporate events, family reunions..... You name it... I'd plan it!!


And then there is the book editor thing!! I think this one might be the one I regret the most!! I wish I would have been smarter when I graduated and sat down and thought of a way to incorporate my interests into a career!! Jeez..... where were my counselor on this one?

And my latest dream? To open a dessert cafe!! I'd sell mini pies, lemon bars, cupcakes, tarts, cakes! All things sweet and delicious!! It would be fun to have a cute little house down in Gardner Village where people could come for a treat!!

But I really shouldn't complain! I do have a good job and I enjoy the people I work with! I have great benefits and I never have to work weeks!! I am grateful to my employer for keeping me on the payroll especially when there are so many people struggling to find jobs right now!!!

5 comments:

Jensine said...

I think you would do awesome in any of those careers! Whatever you end up doing, I know that you will be great at it :)

Amanda and Chad said...

i can relate to this post in so many ways! thinking about school, and "what to be", and "what i should have done" totally stresses me out. i could go on and on about the battles in my head about it, but i won't. i think you are completely awesome though to finish a degree! and you never know, you may end up using it one day and i bet you'll be totally thankful you pushed through and finished college.
i think you would make a great interior designer (i remember when you wanted to be one), and i'm all for dessert shops, ha ha! :)

Steph said...

Uh oh, now I want dessert!

Ana said...

I completely understand where your coming from. In HS I wanted to be a fashion designer(but thats kinda hard to do in Utah...plus I kinda can't sew) Then I started going to school for business(but then marriage and life got in the way) and now? I have NO IDEA what I want to do. I know I want to go back, but not sure for what. I would totally love to be a book editor too! But like you said, I like my job, and I get great benefits so I can't complain about what I got :) but would love to do something that I couldn't get enough of!

Unknown said...

Hey it's never too late! Often all you need is a degree to get in the door. It doesn't always matter what's on that degree, just that you have one. I say go for it, life is too short to not do what you love.

PS- if you need a taster, well, you know where I live!