Sunday, April 3, 2011

Can I Get A Do Over?


I was never one of those people that new exactly what I wanted to do when I grew up! I was always jealous of those people! My desired profession changed all the time..... teacher, doctor, actress, rock star, interior designer.... When I went to college I still didn't know what I wanted to do, which is one of the reason I changed my major so many times.... interior design to family law to ASL to who-the-heck-knows!
I finally settled on teaching! Teaching was always something that just sort of came naturally to me and I always had a much easier time being myself around little kids!! 

But teaching is honestly not my first choice in professions! All of the things that I thought I really wanted to do wouldn't have been very possible here in Utah. For example, the interior designer thing. I LOVE decorating!! But, there is not really a need for it here {Utah women seem to be pretty crafty all on their own}. I would also love to be an event planner!! Call me up and I'll plan your wedding, sweet 16 party, family reunion, work retreat... you name it, I'll plan it!! Again, not really a need for that here!! On to my other great love, travel! I think it would be awesome to have my own travel agency or to take people on tours all over the world!! But  I don't think I would get much business here in Utah.

So I teaching it is! And guess what...... I'm not even a teacher!! I work at a financial institution!! Every month when I pay my student loan bills i think "Man, I am wasted so much time and money on something I am not even using!" I feel like I bought a car and pay the bill every month but never actually drive or use it!!

Now, on to a little side story {I swear all of this will come together at the end}!!
I have two friends that are currently writing their own novels. Not to long ago they both asked me if I would like to read their stories, make changes and give suggestions. Because I love to read I had no problem doing this!
I broke out my red pen and got to reading and marking! It was wonderful! I had so much fun reading their stories, adding suggestions of my own and correcting spelling and grammar! I gave the stories back and told both of them to get working on the rest of it because I wanted more!!
This got me thing {here's where it all comes together}... I need a college do-over!! Why was I such a big dummy when  I went to school? Why didn't I think about my favorite hobbies and try to think about a way I could use that in a profession?
I LOVE to read!! WHY in the world didn't I think about becoming a book editor? I seriously feel like that is the job for me! I would love to go to work everyday and just read!!

Also in editing these stories I realized how wonderful it would have been to become and author! WHY didn't I think of that so long ago? I could have majored in English or Creative Writing!! I could have had my own little cozy office where I'd brainstorm about stories and would spend hours writing novels!! I should have done it.... I need a serious do-over!!

3 comments:

Rachel and Kevin West said...

It's never too late! Go do it!

Nicole said...

You're not old!! You could totally go back to school, and really, if that's what would make you happy, you should do it!

BUT I also think that you don't have to have a degree to be a great writer. You could start writing stories here, on this blog.. like short ones or something, take a creative writing class through the community education courses and see where that takes you.

I think you'd be great at many things, but you need to get out of that stinky old credit union!

Amanda and Chad said...

oh my dear friend... i can relate to this in so many ways! i tried a couple different classes at snow trying to find my "major" and could never settle on anything...sometimes i feel like such a loser that everyone knew what they wanted to do and i had no freakin' clue! so what did i do instead? dropped out after my associates degree. at least you continued even if it is something you aren't using now, at least you do have a degree!!!! and now i still wonder... what do i want to be when i grow up?!?