Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thinking While Running

I went to the gym on Tuesday night and truth be told I wasn't actually running. I worked out on the elliptical machine which is sort of like running. I am not a runner. I've always had a hard time running. I died in elementary school when they would make us run! I would fake illness to get out of it!! 
But this post isn't about running. It's about the things I was thinking while I was "running" on the elliptical machine.

My first thought:
"Why in the crap did I eat so many Cadbury eggs last week?"
I love Cadubury eggs! LOVE them!! Easter time is my favorite time of year because the candy is the best!! I always loved waking up Easter morning and finding my basket filled with these wonderfully colored eggs!! Just the sight of the wrapper made me happy! But it's bad news now that I am old enough to buy them for myself!! They start selling them as soon as Valentines is over and the way through Easter. And of course Easter just happens to be as late as it can possibly be this year!! It totally drags out my addiction! I was at my parents house on Saturday and my mom gave me one. I vowed to myself that would be my last Cadbury egg until Easter {I wont even tell you how many eggs I had already eaten that week.... it would just be horribly embarrassing}. It's now day 5.... Oh how I miss my Cadbury eggs!! 
And if one Cadbury egg wasn't enough, look at this:

It's a Cadbury creme twist thing! Oh.My.Heck!!! That looks like heaven in a candy bar to me!! My mouth started watering when I found this picture!! It's probably a good thing that I do not live in England where I would have unlimited access to such fabulous treats!

When I'm at the gym, if I'm just using a machine, I like to be in the cardio cinema room! It's so much easier to stick with it when I am watching something. Sometimes the movies are stupid {once, I got stuck watching Shrek} and that can make it hard to finish a work out! I love it when they have action movies going!! Once they were playing some Christian Bale movie and I found myself going fast because the story was intense!!
On Tuesday night they were showing this:
My thought "YES, I love this movie!! Channing Tatum is so good looking!"
I walked in at the part when Savannah meets John's dad for the first time and he starts showing her his coin collection!! I was glad that there was still lots of movie left to watch even if there wasn't going to be lots of action.
But my third though of the night was this:
"It's hard to work out, breathe and cry all at the same time"
Yes, this movie always makes me cry! Not so much the lovey dovey chick flick parts... I loose it when John goes to his dad in the hospital and reads him the letter. I cry every time.
And that leads me to my fourth thought of the night:
"I am SO extremely grateful for the men and women who sacrifice their time and lives so that I can live in peace. And I am SO grateful for the families of those service men and women who give up their spouse, child, sibling, or parent to keep our country and others safe."


When I got on the elliptical machine and selected a workout I chose to go for 60 minutes. I thought back to all those Cadbury eggs and told myself I had to do at least that much! It wasn't bad at first, I was into the movie and my legs were doing fine. But as the movie started getting closer to the end and my minutes started adding up, I kept thinking:
"Why in the heck did I think I could go for 60 minutes?!"
and
"I think I'm going to die.... I think I might pass out..... I cant breathe!!"
{That was during the letter part when I was crying}

But I kept going!! Somewhere around 57 minutes I thought:
"I've been doing this for almost an hour.... 57 minutes is good enough!"
And then, somehow, the positive side of my mind kicked in. At that point I only had about 1 mintue and 30 seconds left! I thought:
"One minutes.... I can do anything for one minute!!"
And you know what.... I did! I made it through my whole 60 minute work out! And guess what... the movie ended right as I ended! Sweet!

When ever I am on the elliptical I always cover the display screen with a washcloth. Time drags by WAY to slowly if I can see that I've only been working out for 6 minutes!! I was pretty surprised when I took the cloth away and saw my workout summary:
According to the machine I went 5.28 miles in 65 minutes!! I thought:
"How is it that I can do that on the elliptical, but there is no ways I would be able to jog that far out on the street!"
I don't even think I could do that on a treadmill!
It also told me that I burned 946 calories.
"I wonder how accurate that is?!"

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

shoot! i just left a comment, but i think i clicked out of it before it posted!!!!!! and since your comments dont show until you approve i have know clue...
but i wrote YOU ARE AWESOME!!! i said i loved dear john... and that i dont get the obsession everyone has with cadbury eggs... i hate them!! lol... but i eat my fair share of reeses eggs and starburst jellybeans at easter time!

Unknown said...

This is wonderful! Good job you.