Friday, May 20, 2011

Red and Yellow and Pink and Green

Ever spring Utah has a Festival of Color and I have always wanted to go!! This year I finally made it down there!! What is the Festival of Color you ask?! It's awesome, that's what it is!!
It's a Hindu {I think} festival to welcome in spring! There are bands that perform and Indian food and the burning of a huge stick witch {still not sure what that had to do with all of it...}. But the best part is the colors! Everyone walks around with bags of colored flour {it might be cornstarch actually...} and you get to throw it at people! That is right, you get to walk around, throwing things at complete strangers and it is totally acceptable!! People come up to you will color on their hands and touch your face and put hand prints of your back!! It's awesome!!

Here are some before pictures:

And the afters:
Fun huh?!? I think I need to make this an annual tradition!! Next year I will be wearing white though!! And I will probably keep my sunglasses on!!


See that pink dot on my forehead? A stranger just walked up to me with pink on his thumb and dotted me!! And see all that purple in my EYE!! Yeah, that was from little kid that chucked it right in my open eye and in my ear!! He was pretty excited to throw color at me and I of course got him back!!  
See? I was cleaning purple out of my ear for at least 3 days!! Haha!!
That is what the inside of my hood looked like after only about 30 minutes of walking around!!
Every couple of hours that had a mass throwing of colors! Everyone gets together and throws their color in the air at the same time!! I don't think this picture does justice to show exactly how many people were there!! We were getting squished big time!! There is a guy on a microphone counting everyone down and when he gets to one everyone is supposed to throw their color. Well, do you see that spot in the picture above where there is a bunch of color going? I was down in that section! For some reason our little area started throwing early!! Oops!! And this is what it looks like when everyone throws at once:
Crazy huh!! Stacy got this picture for me and it's perfect!! It doesn't look like that for long.... the wind starts blowing, mixing the colors and making it look like brown dust!
It was SO hard to breathe down there.... I was chocking on powder!! Yuck!! I don't know if it would stand in the middle of the crowd like that again!! I don't even want to know what my lungs looked like after that!!

And here we are at the very end! Stacy stayed up by the temple most of the time because she didn't want to get covered!! She got off easy!! Haha!! Cant wait to do it again next year!!

1 comment:

Amanda and Chad said...

that's awesome! i've seen people post pictures of this all the time, but i never understood how it really worked and how everyone got covered. thanks for explaining!! :) i can't believe little kids were there, i'd be scared to death they would get trampled on. looks like a lot fun though!