Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's My Duty

It's that time of year! But I am not referring to the fact that it's the time of year when my favorite season ends and my most hated season starts!! And I'm not talking about the time of year when we start stressing out because there are only 59 days to Christmas!!! And I'm not referencing the time of year when we get to stuff our faces with delicious foods!!

No, I am talking about that time of year when elections come around.
It's an interesting time of year. And quite honestly I have decided I hate it!!

I feel the strong urge to vote, I really really do!! Because men fought so I could have the freedom to choose and voice my opinions! And women struggled and rallied to change the Constitution so that I, as a woman, would have the right to vote every year. I truly feel that it is my duty, and privilege, to vote!
But this year I am having a hard time with it.

{I feel like I need to put a little disclaimer in right here!! I HATE talking about politics..... HATE it! So, sorry if you don't agree with me and do not like this post! I promise that I will not have many more politics related blog posts}

Politics and government, in my opinion, are so screwed up! People with lots of money run and people with even more money usually win. I feel like I am voting between two people that are "bad" and "worse". How I am supposed to pick one?? Neither one will really be a good choice so I feel like I am voting for the lesser of two evils.
But why does it have to be that way? Why has voting and running for office turned into a stupid money game? And why is it all about who you know and who can endorse you??
Why cant the good old guy down the block run and win?? The man that hasn't been in politics his whole life {and his dad wasn't either}. He is just and average guy who has lived an average life. He has ideas that could truly help our country. He knows what his neighbors really want and he knows their views and opinions because he talks to them all the time.
But a poor guy like that wouldn't stand a chance against some big shot who's family has been in politics for years and is loaded.

But the worst part about this time of year.......... I HATE all the stupid mud slinging they do. I hate all the stupid commericals that come on! I hate that candidates look for all the tiny faults in one another and then blow them way out of proportion and then flash it all over the TV. I hate that they dig things up that happened 20 years ago!! Who cares?!?
We all did stupid stuff when we were 18 or when we went away to our first years of college!! Jeez!!

I hate that politics ruin friendships because both people do not share the same party beliefs. Why do we even have to pick a stupid side?
I think Republicans have some really great ideas. There are many many things that they believe that I agree with. But I also think that the Democrats have some things right. And you know what, I even think the Tea Party has some pretty valid arguments!! Why must we pick only one side? And why do we have to fight about it and get angry and frustrated with those around us because they don't think the same way we do? Why cant both sides work together and realize that no one party has all the best ideas and all the right answers??

After going back and rereading this I am not sure exactly what I am trying to say, or what my point really is!
I guess it's just that I wish things were different.
I wish our country and it's leaders would work together. I wish people who have the power to make choices and change would do that based on what is best for the people in their area instead of what will bring them the most profit or recognition. I wish honest and good people were in charge. I wish the country was run by average every day people. I wish for a better America.

So VOTE!! Make your voice be heard and vote for those people that you think will make this a better place!! Honor those who fought so hard to give you the chance to go out on election day and let your voice be heard!!!

{P.S. On a totally unrelated subject...... I have fallen SO far behind on my 30 days! Ahh! How did so many days go by without a post!!! Today is my short day at work though! So that means I will have all afternoon to play catch up!! So check back later for an update on more fun topics!! }

2 comments:

Amanda and Chad said...

amen sista! couldn't have said it better myself.

Rachel and Kevin West said...

AGREE AGREE AGREE